Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Prejudice, Stereotype and Suudzon

Hiya, bloggers, long time no post, eh?


I have been lazy to do it, so i guess i can just sit back and enjoy my not-so-famous life :) 


Okay, judging by the title you would probably wonder why i'm posting this, or not... LOL


Well, it started simply. I don't know why i don't like anything connected to Korea. Yup! While some gals are crazy about K-Pop, K-drama, and those what they call cute actors, well for me they're just a bunch of stuff i could slightly care about. I don't even like Korean food, in this case, kimchi. Well, you know (you probably don't know) that i LOVE food, as much as Joey Tribbiani does. Hahahaha


And here how my story started...


Oh-kay... as i might have mentioned earlier in the previous posts, i work as a freelance EFL instructor. And recently, as in November, i joined an institution where i work as a private tutor. 
I found out that i had a Korean student. He's an adult, expecting a conversation class. When i knew that my student is a Korean, i said, "Um, i'm not so excited about this. I mean, i don't like Koreans." Then my supervisor asked, "Why? What's wrong?" I just shrugged, matter-of-factly, "Nothing's wrong with them. I don't even know why i don't like them."
As i was saying this, i thought about anything connected to Korea. Umm, only one thing i like, that is SAMSUNG! Anw, d'you know how to pronounce it correctly? Ahahaha, we'll get to that later, kay?


And so i hoped, i wouldn't get on the wrong foot. I had this stereotype of Koreans, that they are so not flexible. They work so hard, they are so stingy about money, they are soooo disciplined and will not tolerate anything in the name of efficiency. You know, those kinds of "labels". 
Honestly, they kinda clouded my judgement, so i had this prejudice. I was so negative about this not-yet-known student. I mean, i cannot help myself being so suudzon, can I?
But then, when i was "enlightened", i was relieved to know that being negative really does make you feel bad when you know the reality.


I thought that this guy, this Korean guy would be annoying. I wouldn't enjoy the sessions and bla bla bla! Well, it turned out that he really is a nice guy. His name is Choi M_n S___k. I bet you will find so many Chois out there in Korea. Hahahahaha... It really is hard to pronounce his name. I mean, CHOI is not CHOI. It sounds like Che (as in Che Guevara) but you say it with your mouth forming an O sound. Go ahead, try it. He just graduated from university double major in Marine Biology (OMG! I would kill to study that!!!) and Logistics. He stays here for only 4 to 5 months because he misses his family back in Korea. He can speak English quite well, though sometimes his pronunciation is sooo confusing! X_x
You know, i don't know if all Koreans are like this, or is it just him, but he cannot pronounce L and/or R, F, V, P and sometimes i wonder whether he just gets mixed up or something else. 


Choi told me many stories about Korea. Including the relationships with North Korea and Japan. I pretty much got the idea that Korea was in a bad condition before the independence. Even after the independence, there was a war. Korean War of course. He said that the soldiers from Indonesia came to help. And i told him that was because at that time, Indonesia had a very solid and tough military. 
Talking about military, he said that all men in Korea must serve for 2 years as they hit 21. Well, 21 in Korea is 19 in Indonesia, as they count the pregnancy as 1 year, then 3 months after the baby born, it is counted as another year. So, Choi is 27 in Korea and 25 in Indonesia. Well probably in "International Age". (Is there such thing?)
Choi told me that the first thing the Army "teach" is: The first enemy is North Korea. So all men need to be prepared for the war. He said that North Korean Army must serve the country for 10 years when they hit 19, which means 17 here...
And about SAMSUNG, Koreans pronounce it SAM and SUNG here is a bit complicated. It's like saying SUNG with your mouth forming SONG. Hehehehe...


All i'm saying here is, being negative really blocks your mind. You probably have less interest in something that may be really interesting. Come on, people, there could be a lesson from everything you do. I really am sorry for being so judgemental about this Korean thingy. Anw, that's it and that's all.


PS: He doesn't look like those Korean actors, okay...


Hit me back, just to check


Surely yours,






Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment